Best Mountain Bike Under 300 in 2018
Mountain biking offers a sense of adventure and freedom that is often missing in daily life. You love the sport, let's face it, however not many people can afford thousands of dollars on a bike and equipment.
The good news is that you can get a very good quality mountain bike for a reasonable cost. Here are our picks for the best mountain bike under 300 dollars.
We've attempted to include bikes that will appeal to as many riders as possible because no one bike fits every person's needs. Take a look at our list, find your ideal mountain bike and then get ready to set out on the adventure of your choice.
10 Best Mountain bikes under 300 dollars
Now onto our choices for the top mountain bikes. We tried to find a style that was made for each family member to help you narrow your decision regardless of who is getting the bike.
We hope this helps you feel less overwhelmed with the number of choices available. Before going to further details, we are going to discuss a very important part and it's about how to choose a perfect mountain that suits your requirement.
Check on Amazon
Schwinn High Timber Mountain Bike
Mongoose Detour Mountain Bike
Granite Peak 26″ Ladies Mountain Bike
HASA Kids Mountain Bike
Kent Thruster KZ2600 Mountain Bike
Mongoose R2780 Impasse Dual Full Suspension
Schwinn Men's High Timber Bicycle with 29" Wheels
Mongoose Stasis Comp 26-Inch Full Suspension Mountain Bicycle
Mongoose Status 2.2 Women's 26" Wheel Mountain Bike
Kawasaki K26 Hardtail Mountain Bike
Schwinn bikes have long held the reputation of being dependable and this one is no exception. This bike features a seat that is adjustable for anyone from approximately 5'8" tall to 6'2" and has been tested for those weighing up to 290 pounds.
The steel frame makes it sturdy and it has an excellent record on city streets and highways. This bike also has a front fork suspension system. This one may get you some rides on dirt roads, but it isn't made for rough mountain paths.
If you are seeking a bike that can handle cross-country road trips, this is one bike to consider as it can handle that kind of travel well.
- Fits many body sizes comfortably
- Sturdy steel frame
- Does well on long road trips along the highway
- Pedals are only about an inch from front wheel.
- It's a bit heavier than others with aluminum frame.
Mongoose has built a strong reputation and this mountain bike doesn't disappoint. This full-suspension bike is made to navigate the tough trails you seek out. It's 21 speeds cover all your needs and you can shift easily with the trigger shift controls.
The aluminum frame allows for easier control than with a heavier bike and the quick release tires make taking care of a flat quick and easy so you can get back to your ride.
Having linear rear brakes and disc front brakes, you are able to stop quickly in a variety of weather conditions.
Those who do not have a great deal of experience mountain biking may find this bike a bit heavy to control comfortably.
- All-weather brakes
- Can handle everything from city streets to rough mountain paths
- Quick-release tires for repairs or storage
- Included seat is uncomfortable for many
- Shifting takes some getting used to
- May be "too much" if you're only riding is in the city
This is an excellent bike for those just starting out with mountain biking. The 18 speeds are enough to keep you riding on a variety of terrain and the bike is light enough to make it easy to handle.
The tires feature a knobby tread that allows for great gripping on dirt and wet pavement. Created with a person of shorter stature, this bike may not be suitable with those with long legs. The weight limit is listed at 200 pounds.
The steel frame has front-fork suspension and the gears are shifted with a twist control.
- Ideal for those who find most mountain bikes too big
- Tires have great grip on most surfaces
- Comfortable seat for longer rides
- Pedal is close to front tire which causes issues with some riders
- Distance between seat and handlebars appears to be short
We chose this one for the younger riders looking for a quality mountain bike that will last a while. HASA has been creating competition winning bikes for many years now and this one doesn't disappoint those already familiar with their products.
The frame and most of the essential components are made of an aluminum alloy that is both lightweight yet strong. There is a lifetime warranty on the frame and a one-year warranty on all parts except tires and brakes.
This bike offers both front and rear brakes and fork suspension. There are three shifters on the left and seven on the right.
- Durable frame and parts that can handle what a kid puts a bike through
- Unisex design that appeals to both girls and boys equally
- Can keep up with most adult mountain bikes
- Made for kids in the 9-12 year old range so has limited longevity regarding size
- Only comes in white which is not an ideal color according to most kids
- Replacement parts may be difficult to find in many bike shops
Full suspension creates a smooth ride over the roughest terrain and the 21-speed shifters making adjusting to changes quickly and easily, allowing you to minimize the number of delays for obstacles. When you must stop, front disc brakes make it easy to do so.
The wheelset features a V-shape rim profile and high-flange alloy hubs. Tires are wide and created to withstand obstacles such as small stones and twigs.
The 19" frame allows most riders anywhere between five and six feet to fit comfortably. The weight limit is listed at 280 pounds.
- Many parts are those found on higher-priced bicycles
- Handles rough terrain well and can navigate over small stones and sticks without hesitation
- Adjustable for a wide variety of body sizes
- Not good for constant jumps or to be used as a trick bike
- Wheels are not quick release
- Assembly may require professional help
With an aluminum frame and Element Suspension, you will feel the smoothest experience while riding the Mongoose R2780. Apart from that, you also get excellent comfort and overall performance, which you can use on almost any terrain without a problem.
It comes with a 21-speed Shimano rear derailleur which alongside the SRAM shifter will provide an amazing experience. It will be like riding a motorcycle with several speeds, always performing excellently no matter where you are.
The wheels and the brakes are all made of alloy. This elevates the quality of the bike, which adding the small frame and exceptional price, comes as an unmatched option for anyone.
- Reliable and responsive alloy brakes
- Smooth and comfortable to ride even in sloppy paths
- Fast-changing shifters for more responsiveness when needed
- Not for tall people as the frame is too compact
- Unreliable in rocky paths as alloy wheels are not too good
- Seat is not comfortable at all
Everyone knows what having a Schwinn bike means, but not everyone knows why. The Schwinn Men's High Timber bike is precisely the reason most people love this brand, and it is not hard to believe when you take a look at what this bicycle offers.
Boasting a steel mountain frame for more control and performance even during the sloppiest of terrains as well as a top-notch suspension, you will go through any path easily. And when you add the 21-speed SRAM grip shifters and the SHIMANO TX-31 derailleur, shifting will become a piece of cake.
And let’s not forget about the high-grade alloy wheels that promote performance. That when you consider the liner pull brakes made of alloy, you simply get a bike with superior construction that goes anywhere you like.
- Comfortable and reliable frame made of steel
- Responsive shifting set for easier control
- Very smooth riding with high-quality pedals and wheels
- Not recommended for downhill tracks due to brake responsiveness
- Seat is extremely uncomfortable
- Hard-to-push rakes may numb your fingers
The lightest bike from Moongose, a 26-inch magnificent road warrior that not only helps to have a smooth performance but also go through anywhere you want effortlessly. The Stasis Comp is simply a bike not to overlook with its full suspension and aluminum frame.
A full suspension front and rugged wheels complement the rideability of the Stasis Comp. And when you add the 21-speed SRAM twist shifters and a Shimano derailleur, it's like having the highest-quality bike out there.
You will be able to go mountain climbing, steep hill biking, or downhill without problems, as it is light yet very responsive entirely.
- Perfect for beginners as it is light and easy to maneuver
- Durable and reliable aluminum construction
- Very responsive disk brakes
- Brakes need readjustment before using the bike for the first time
- Assembly is not easy at all as it doesn’t come with a manual
- Preferably recommended for kids between 9 and 13 due to light construction
Durability, responsiveness, and superb smoothness – that’s what the Status 2.2 offers. A bike that is designed with the whole purpose of helping women have an amazing experience while riding.
It comes with a strong aluminum frame, a high-quality suspension fork, and the perfect dimensions for a more comfortable experience. Alongside the 21-speed Shimano, you get SRAM twist shifters that will take any path practically anywhere without problems.You also get the alloy rims and lightweight overall construction for easy maneuverability. And of course, with the tires and elevated frame, any woman can feel totally assured while riding it, even in the hardest tracks.
- Perfectly positioned shifters make speed changes easier
- Elevated and well-designed frame for more comfort
- Light yet durable aluminum frame construction that lasts years
- Brakes may not be the most responsive in fast tracks
- Tires are a little unreliable in rocky paths
- Unresponsive gearing system can feel pretty annoying
Maybe the easiest bike to ride in the list, this bike is a total pleasure for its smoothness and a magnificent choice if versatility is what you want. This not only goes in the pavement and the trail without problems; it also provides one of the sweetest designs for girls who want to feel the harsh feeling of dirt.
The Kawasaki K26G boasts a hard-tail design composed primarily of a steel frame which is more durable and reliable than most. It is also light enough and arrives with an additional front fork which is very sturdy. So, it takes the rider anywhere effortlessly.
Its 26-inches tires work well enough alongside the alloy rims. And when you add the 18-speed drivetrain, the Shimano derailleur, and the linear brakes, you can be assured it will help any girl have a fantastic experience.
- High-quality tires increase reliability in dirt trails
- Very sturdy steel frame makes it durable enough for harsh biking
- Smooth riding thanks to pedals and gearing system
- Brakes are not the most reliable out there
- Seat and overall design can be pretty uncomfortable when using
- Very noisy when riding
Our #1 Choice from the list:
If we were to choose one from our list as the best mountain bike under 300 dollars, it would be the Kent Thruster KZ2600 Dual-Suspension Mountain Bike, 26-Inch.
This bike is the one that offers the best chance of doing what the most people want. It is a high-quality bike at an affordable price. Whatever bike you choose, may you enjoy many hours exploring.
Mountain biking will always hold a special place in a large number of lives. Today, whole families can enjoy biking together. Bikes have evolved to accommodate many riding styles and there is a perfect bike waiting for you.
Take time to do your homework and understand your own needs on where you will be riding and what you value most, whether it is speed, comfort or the chance to explore trails that have long been forgotten. Only you can be the final judge of what bike is the best for you.